My office hours are Tuesdays and Thursdays 12:00 to 3:00 in the museum.

Friday, March 7, 2014

Tasmanian Sojourn Group Resources (Maybe a little Full Circle too)

OK, Dr. C and I have found a ton of new information regarding GFB, his work, and his Tasmanian sojourn. Neither of us has had any  time to process this info or really interpret it. I'm passing it along in it's raw form to you guys so you can get started sifting through it:

I emailed Brett Martin--the Tasmanian researcher/writer that I have been corresponding with to ask about GFB's education. Here's a copy of our exchange:
Me: I am deviling deeper into the history of George Beardsley and I was wondering if you could shed light on a question I've been pondering. I've been reading the book you recommending, The Peaks of Lyell, and I've been wondering if George had any formal training as a chemist. Do you have any idea how the men received their training in that day? Was it through schooling, or more "on the job"? 

Mr Martin:  I've not come across any reference to George having formal qualifications, however the circumstantial evidence is strong. He was instrumental in setting up the smelter at Zeehan before coming to Mt Lyell Company as  Metallurgist, then working under Sticht as Head Assayer. I doubt that sort of expertise can be learned on the job, though it's not impossible. He was also instrumental in setting up the School of Mining in Zeehan and a similar school in Queenstown, all of which points to a respect for education and qualifications. He may have gained his education in a similar school in the US or after he came to Australia. I'll see if I can find some reference in the archives.



Mr. Martin sent me this article this morning: Captain's Flat he also sent along this one: The Zeehan and Dundas Smelter


You should run Beardsley's name through that Australian newspaper archive, http://trove.nla.gov.au/ to see if we can get any more hits.  

This group has the difficult task of putting together the history of GFB's work as we find the resources, but I'm sure all of us together can figure it out.

Be sure to add some of this to your storyboard, we can mount any of these newspapers on the wall. 



No comments:

Post a Comment