My office hours are Tuesdays and Thursdays 12:00 to 3:00 in the museum.

Thursday, March 6, 2014

George's Early Years Reveled

I fell down a bit of a rabbit hole yesterday playing around on the California Digital Newspaper Collection - which is a phenomenal resource for California history research. I've used it before, but for some reason the research gods were shining and I got a ton of great NEW information on George and his father:

GFB's Birth Announcement
Sacramento Daily Union, Sep 25, 1857

George's father, Amos Foster Beardsley was a botanist! This really helps to explain George's scientific interests and life-long love of learning.
Daily Alta California Jan 30, 1860 (check link for full article)
George's grandfather, Amos Beardsley was a physician from the UK. This also shows  Amos Foster Beardsley (GF's father). The tree that was named after him pinus beardsleyi--I think that is a ponderosa pine. I have a query sent out to an ecologist friend of mine to confirm. 
Dictionary of British and Irish Botanists and Horticulturalists...
Death announcement for George's mother, Catherine Fisher Beardsley (George was three years old)
Sacramento Daily Union, April 25, 1861

There is even more great stuff that Dr. C and I found, but I haven't fully processed it. More posts to come soon.





2 comments:

  1. As part of the colonial milieu group I was wondering whether the incorporation of almost a profession timeline of George and his father and grandfather could be incorporated? I feel like that would involve the Beardsley's more and show how George sort of came into some of his interests. I however am not very sure as to how to include this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That might be more of something for the Parallel lives and Tasmanian sojourn group, maybe? I'm not sure. It's a good question though. I know team Sojourn is doing a professional-ish timeline for George.

    ReplyDelete