My office hours are Tuesdays and Thursdays 12:00 to 3:00 in the museum.

Thursday, February 20, 2014

Alice Wellman's Travel Journal

You can find the Google Books scan of her excerpt here.

It was published in the April 1901 volume of Oakland Domestic Science Monthly. Notice in the table of contents that she was "Mrs. Beardsley" at the time of publication, but "Miss Wellman" during the writing of the journal.

Also take note that there are two excerpts: A Bit of Tent Life in Syria and A Christmas in Darjeeling. This second one I missed when I first found the publication a year ago. I can't belive what a gold mine these are! Not only does she talk about the objects she comes into contact with, but she also gives such an amazing account of how she felt during the trip. I am especially interested in the way she decribes the people (servants) she encounters. We are lucky to have a first hand account of these encounters between worlds.

2 comments:

  1. So not necessarily about your post, but I found who made the silver box. Hallelujah. I just posted the information onto my blog and there are pictures of somebody else's box that looks quite similar. Simon Rosenau from Germany. I thought you might want to know. Also thanks for your help today!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alice traveled to Germany to study music when she was at Vassar...might have acquired it them.

    ReplyDelete